Spring pilgrimage in Bai Dinh Pagoda
According to the Asian concept and customs, people should go to pagodas and temples to pray for luck and fortune at the start of the year. The spiritual tourism complex of Bai Dinh Pagoda, which is considered as Southeast Asia's largest temple, is arguably the most prominent in the North of Vietnam.
Ninh Binh province is considered to a "miniature North" because it is located more than 90 kilometers from Hanoi's capital. This location brings together the best of heaven and earth, people, and the nation's history. It is the land of plains intermingled with hills, traditional northern culture, and relics bearing the forefathers' great history. Bai Dinh Pagoda Complex emerges as a Buddha world amid the ancient region in the midst of this assembly.
Bai Dinh Pagoda architecture includes an ancient temple and the largest new temple complex in Southeast Asia. This complex has achieved many records, including the largest pagoda in Vietnam, the pagoda with the most Arhat statues in Vietnam, the pagoda with the largest bronze bell in Vietnam, the pagoda with the largest jade well in Vietnam, The largest bronze Buddha statue in Southeast Asia, the largest gilded bronze Buddha in Asia... Bai Dinh, in particular, is situated within the renowned Trang An World Heritage Complex.
Bai Dinh Pagoda Festival
With the warm spring weather, from January to March of lunar calendar is the best time to visit Bai Dinh. Bai Dinh Pagoda opens its doors on the first days of the new year to welcome travelers from all over the world to visit the landscape. The temple festival normally begins on the 6th day of the new year and lasts until the end of the third lunar month.
The festival consists of 2 parts: the ceremony and festival. The ceremony includes rituals of burning incense to worship Buddha, commemorating the merit of Saint Nguyen, worshiping Genie Cao Son Thuong Ngan God Mother and carrying the procession of worshiping Genie Cao Son, Saint Nguyen and Thuong Ngan God Mother from the ancient pagoda to the new pagoda to conduct the festival. Folk games, cave and pagoda viewing, and Cheo and Xam Dat singing are also part of the celebration. Ninh Binh Cheo Theater also performed the reenactment ceremony of King Dinh Tien Hoang and the chess ceremony of King Quang Trung on Dinh Mountain before the battle.
With the benefit of a massive pagoda complex, this is a large celebration that draws a great number of guests. Due to the presence of relics associated with the kings Dinh Tien Hoang, Quang Trung, and Le Thanh Tong, as well as the adoration of Saint Nguyen, Genie Cao Son, and Thuong Ngan God Mother, the Bai Dinh Pagoda Festival combines nature worship with Buddhist beliefs, Motherism, and even Confucius.
How to travel when visiting Bai Dinh Pagoda in spring
Because Bai Dinh Pagoda is approximately 110 kilometers from Hanoi, the safest and most convenient mode of transportation is to take a bus from Hanoi's bus terminal. You disembark from the bus at Ninh Binh bus station and take a taxi to Bai Dinh Pagoda.
Ninh Binh Bus Station207 Lê Đại Hành, Vân Gia, Ninh Bình, Vietnam
You will pass through the famous Trang An tourism area on your journey from Ninh Binh bus terminal to Bai Dinh pagoda. You can rent a tourist automobile if you're going with a large group. You can ride a motorcycle if you want to go on a journey and admire the beauty on both sides of the road.
Tràng An Complex1 P. Phùng Chí Kiên, Nghĩa Đô, Cầu Giấy, Hà Nội, Vietnam
Traveling in Bai Dinh: The tram is the major mode of transportation in Bai Dinh. You will purchase a ticket at the parking area, and the tram will take you to the main gate of Bai Dinh Pagoda, where you will catch the wire. From here, you can take a trip around the temple complex to see the artwork.
Bai Dinh PagodaXã, 7VG8+982, Gia Sinh, Gia Viễn, Ninh Bình, Vietnam
Bai Dinh Pagoda destinations to visit in spring
The new Bai Dinh Pagoda
The new Bai Dinh pagoda has become increasingly crowded in the early days of the year. When you visit Bai Dinh pagoda, you must adhere to the schedule for visiting Bai Dinh pagoda:
- Quan Am Palace: The Buddha statue at Quan Am Palace is 9.57 meters tall and weighs up to 80 tons. Inside the palace, there are seven compartments, each with a statue of Avalokitesvara, the Bodhisattva of a Thousand Eyes and Thousand Hands in the center.
- Tam Quan Gate: When you arrive at Tam Quan Gate, the first thing you notice is the bronze statue of the Dharma Protector, which stands up to 5.5 meters tall and is surrounded by eight diamond statues. There are 234 compartments in the Arhat corridor, which connects the two ends of Tam Quan.
- Tam The Palace: There are numerous statues here, so coming here, you will admire the largest bronze statue of Tam The in Vietnam.
- Bell Tower: On the journey to Bai Dinh Pagoda, you will meet a bell tower up to 3 floors with 24 roofs. This is where the 36-ton bronze bell is located.
Bell Tower7VH8+JX2, QL38B, Gia Sinh, Gia Viễn, Ninh Bình, Vietnam
The ancient temple
Chùa Bái Đính Cổ7V98+X8R, Gia Sinh, Gia Viễn District, Ninh Bình, Vietnam
In addition to the area of the new Bai Dinh pagoda, the ancient Bai Dinh Pagoda is still preserved. It is incredibly calm because it is towards the top of a mountain forest. You will have the chance to enjoy the scenery and immerse yourself in the tranquil, green beauty of the highlands if you come here.
Notes when visiting Bai Dinh at the beginning of the year
- Almost all of the products and goods sold in Bai Dinh Pagoda are more expensive than those sold outside. Therefore, if you want to save money, you should shop at the foot of the mountain.
- Drizzle is common in the northern provinces, especially Bai Dinh Pagoda, at the start of the year. As a result, you should bring an umbrella to protect yourself from the rain.
- Because Bai Dinh Pagoda is a big temple complex situated on hills and mountains, you should wear sports shoes rather than your usual high-heeled shoes to travel more quickly and comfortably.
- If you visit Bai Dinh Pagoda or any other temple, you should carry enough money to participate in the temple ceremony and to give..
- To make the temple more beautiful, money should be placed in the merit box.